|How to upgrade the firmware on a Digi TransPort router using Flashwriter – Serial Procedure|
This is the serial version of the article How to upgrade the firmware on a Digi TransPort router using Flashwriter. Since that procedure did not show the proper settings needed to complete the Flashwriter procedure using the serial port, this article attempts to do that.
Note that this procedure will not work with the units that do not have a serial port, such as the WR11.
Please note that upgrading the firmware using Flashwriter will erase any existing configuration files on the router.
1) Download and install Flashwriter.
2) Obtain the latest Flashwriter firmware zip file, which can be found at one of the following links depending on your model:
Digi TransPort Flashwriter files
Sarian Flashwriter files
It is very important that the correct firmware file is used for the model number being upgraded. If you attempt to load firmware designed for one model onto a different model the router may cease to function and will be difficult to recover.
Note that there is at least one variation of firmware dependent on the module. To determine which module module you have, please see the following article: How to Determine which module to select in the Flashwriter Procedure. This article will also come into play on step 13 of this procedure.
To locate the correct firmware for your model, after clicking on a link above, select the subdirectory containing the version you wish to download (the newest version is recommended) then the subdirectory relating to your model. Select the zip file to download it. The format of the file name is as follows:
<model name>-<firmware version>.zip
As an example, the file called WR44-5162.zip is firmware for the WR44 model and is firmware version 5.162.
3) Extract all of the files, from the downloaded zip archive, to a directory on your PC.
4) Close any other programs that are running on your PC.
5) Connect the asynchronous serial port of the router to a free communications port on your PC via an RS232 straight-through serial cable.
6) Go to your Device Manager in your PC or laptop and specify 115200 for the speed of your serial port.
7) Run the Flashwriter program that was installed in step 1).
8) On the main Flashwriter screen, select the proper serial port for your PC from the drop down menu under “Communications port number/Interface
9) On the main Flashwriter screen, ensure that:
- The 'Configure only' check box is NOT ticked
- The 'Use event driven mode' check box IS ticked
- The 'Use Xmodem 1K' check box IS ticked
- The 'Use TFTP' check box is NOT ticked
|10) Click the 'Load' button|
11) Click 'OK' when prompted with the message “Next enter the location of the .all file.
12) Select the '.all file' that you extracted from the zip file from step 3.
13) Select the W-WAN module that is in your TransPort.
Please see the following article on determining which module you have: How to Determine which module to select in the Flashwriter Procedure
Click OK after selecting the module.
13) Power off the Digi TransPort, click OK, then immediately power on the device, as per the Flashwriter procedure.
|At this point the Flashwriter program will update your firmware.|
Note that this procedure will take approximately 10-20 minutes.
If you have any issues, please note what, if any, error messages pop up.
If it does error out, please try to run the procedure once again.
Some common issues:
- Selecting wrong serial port.
- Selecting “Use TFTP” when using a serial connection
- Sometimes we see this message and it’s something in the laptop or computer itself. Maybe trying another PC or laptop will resolve the issue.
- Entering wrong serial number when asked
- Ensure you have the correct serial cable. You will need an RS232 straight-through serial cable connected between the asynchronous serial port of the router to a free communications port on your PC.
- Ensure you are loading the correct firmware