How do I recover my Digi ConnectPort X4?
Digi ConnectPort X4 Firmware Recovery Procedure
This document outlines the procedure for recovering the firmware on the ConnectPort X4.
- ConnectPort X4
- Phillips screwdriver
- PC or laptop
- Serial Cable (null modem)
- Tool to connect 2 jumper pins
- Firmware Image to be uploaded
- TFTP server (can run on the above PC or laptop). You may find a Windows based TFTP server here: http://ftp1.digi.com/support/utilities/tftpd.exe
- Power off the Digi Device.
- Remove the case off of the ConnectPort X4. You will need to remove the two screws towards the back of the unit on the sides.
- It will then be necessary to partially peel up the top label, towards the back of the ConnectPort X4, to remove the lower lid. you should see the lip of the lower lid in which you can use a small screwdriver to pry apart.
- Jumper pins 3 & 4 on the pin array marked P2 as shown below. Pin 1 is the pin closest to the white dot while pin 4 is the furthest away from the dot.
- Connect the serial cable to the serial port on the ConnectPort X4. Then connect the other end of the serial cable to the laptop or PC.
- From the computer connect to the Com port (i.e. Hyperterm). Use serial settings 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, with no flow control.
- Power up the ConnectPort X4. You should see the POST menu appear on the terminal screen.
- At the prompt press the t key to select the TFTP related options.
- At the TFTP submenu press 2 to enter new TFTP related parameters.
- Fill out the information in the menu:
TFTP filename - Enter the name of the file you wish to load from the TFTP server to the ConnectPort WAN.
IP address - Enter the IP address that you wish the ConnectPort X4 will have during the firmware download.
Network Mask - Enter the Network Mask that the ConnectPort X4 will have during the firmware download.
Network Gateway - Enter the Network Gateway that the ConnectPort X4 will use during the download.
Network TFTP server - Enter the IP address of the TFTP server here.
- Press 3 to start the firmware download from the TFTP server to the ConnectPort X4
- Upon completion a message will be display whether the procedure was successful or not.
- Press the esc key to get back into the main POST menu.
- Press the 4 key to program the downloaded image into the ConnectPort X4.
- Upon receiving the completion message the firmware image should be loaded.
- Remove the jumper.
- Replace the case on the unit & power cycle the unit.